Living Life with Altitude

We are two soon-to-be newlyweds who live in Estes Park, Colorado - Paradise at 7,500 feet! We have recently bought a house and we are getting married in October. We hope to start a family soon. I am a culinary student and Cameron manages a Starbucks. We love our life and hope that you enjoy sharing in our adventures!

Monday, March 5, 2012

It's alive!

I do apologize for the lack of posts of late. Simply put, there has not been that much going on up here in Estes to work up a post. I've also been dealing with some personal struggling in terms of how bleak this winter has been, which only added to the non-postage. Happily, things are now on the upswing. Spring is on its way--we're supposed to reach the high 50s today--and Daylight Savings, which is my favorite day of the year, is next Sunday. Won't be long after that until we really start reaping the benefits of this paradise we live in.

With any luck, soon we will also be rid of the wind that has been plaguing us for a while now. Since Christmas we've had some terrible winds which the locals all say is worse than the norm. There have been several nights when we've had winds up to 80mph sustained, not gusting, all night long. While Cameron loves the "white noise", it makes it impossible for me to sleep and I've had to start sleeping with my iPod headphones stuffed in my ears to try and drown it out. It would be an understatement to say that I am very excited for that weather pattern to go away for good.

Another reason for the upswing, I've found gainful employment. Hooray! Starting today, I'll be waiting tables at Mama Rose's, an Italian restaurant downtown. I'm excited, if not terribly nervous, for the adventure. I'm hoping that it will be a challenge to keep me going.

We've had an influx of wildlife around the house of late! The elk have been coming to the field next to our house quite often. We've also heard a couple of coyotes around the house at night, and a few weeks ago we spotted a bobcat in the back yard about 50 yards from the door. Recently we've also heard a pair of Great Horned Owls in one of the trees around the back. Looks like a lot of the wildlife is coming back out from their winter slumbers.

In the meantime, here's a few goings-on that we've had in the last couple of months.

Snowshoeing in RMNP

Elk hanging around town

Elk hanging around our house!

Our new cat, Sherlock

I'm also rehearsing with the Oratorio Society of Estes Park, which will have performances in the end of April. We are performing Beethoven's Mass in C Minor. Very exciting! It's a new challenge for me that I have never done before and I decided on a whim to join back in January. 

Hopefully, I will be more regular with posts as spring comes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment